Thursday, December 25, 2014

An Autism Pants Christmas

Okay soooo Christmas. This was our first year in our new house, Rachel's first year with a tree (our other house was too small) and this is the first year where I think Aaron actually “got it” as far as presents are concerned. He knows there is something inside the wrapping paper. The problem is though that he thinks everything is for him. You hand him one thing and a flood gate is opened and then once the novelty of the gift has temporarily worn off he is off to the next and if you are looking away someone else’s gift is potentially being opened…or as Aaron so adorably tries so hard to say “oh-ee” (it is so cute.)

Rachel threw everything as usual, that part of her has not changed sans vitamin FYI. She very much likes this Minnie Mouse vacuum my sister got for her though. I knew she would love it...it’s noisy and has a strobe light.

Aaron got 67 jillion trains. One of them is motorized and he got that from Grandma and Grandpa and it comes with a track. I’d say it’s like the “made in China” version of a Lionel train set for kids. It’s cute and durable”ish” and I know this because it’s been thrown several times today by Aaron for derailments while he is trying to let it drive within millimeters of his eyes so he can stim with it, but the cars are light and it derails a lot. It has 2 speeds. Super fast and insane super fast. For such a light train I really wish it wouldn't go so fast because then it wouldn't get thrown so much for derailing so often. The engine/wheel noise when it derails is much louder and makes Aaron immediately put his hands over his ears thus stopping him from being able to fix the train so I’m guessing that’s why it is being thrown - to shut it up and get it away from his ears. He loves it though because the batteries had to be replaced 3 times today he played with it so much and I had to take the engine with the batteries in it with me when I put him to bed so he wouldn't get out of bed to play with it in the dark. He did however, get out of bed and get the rest of the train and put it in bed with him. I thought he might, he has every other vehicle in the known universe in bed with him already.

The kids got mini trampolines. Aaron stim jumps aaaaallllllll day and verbal stims at the same time, loudest thing ever. Rachel would just “Tigger” around the house if she could everywhere so we thought they would fight over one trampoline. My mom asked what she should get them. The answer? 2 trampolines. I thought they would go crazy over these things because of how much each of them loves to jump. So far they really don’t seem that excited about them. They have jumped on them but not in the insane way I thought they would. It hasn't even been 24 hours though. Maybe it’s not fun if they can’t fight over it.

We went to Christmas dinner at Grandma and Grandpa’s house. Both kids refused to eat anything. Shocker. Aaron was blaring Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on his iPad while we were trying to eat. We turned it down, he turned it up, down, up, down, up….etc. Fun. He kept yanking on my arm trying to get me to come with him and do God knows what but I told him I was going to sit at the table and he could go play. He would not have that. So he yanked on my arm intermittently for about an hour. He wouldn't let Rachel come near me or he would hit her. He hit his cousin a few times too. Every once in a while he would take this glitter wand I gave him as a sensory toy and slam it in to the table.

I finally decided that it was not going to get any better so we came home. My husband and 23 year old daughter who is visiting for the holiday stayed to hang out with the grandparents. I put kids to bed as fast as I could and now it is all nice and quiet. I have my pretty Christmas tree and a glass of wine…and FarCry4!! Which we had before Christmas but I hardly ever get to play so I’m playing it now before my husband comes home and takes the controller away.


I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment